Holiday Sparkle

In my home I don't have a fireplace or traditional mantel area to decorate for different seasons/holidays. As a substitute, I use a tall cabinet in my kitchen since it is an area that you notice when first walking into my home. Prior to changing it for the upcoming holidays this area included a homemade chalkboard with one of my favorite verses on it, a cardboard letter "E", red glass vases, fake flowers/petals, and a fleur-de-lis print.  Below is a picture of how this area normally looks:


My inspiration for this area came after recently visiting "Feather your Nest" in Lexington, KY and purchasing the sparkly deer picture.  I knew from there that I wanted this area to be full of glitter and glass in holiday colors.  To change up the space I started with the chalkboard which I used to add a verse from Isaiah.  I then started adding the sparkly elements such as the deer picture, glittery snowflakes, bows, icicles, candle, silver bells, metal tree, and flowers. To add in some red and green elements, I added in pieces of red glass which were already being used in other areas of my home and I also added two large green glass jars that were used in Lora's wedding (read about how Lora reused these items from her wedding here).  To give the area some height, I placed the items on the left side on top of red and white books.  After moving things around and trying variations I came up with a placement I liked.  I love how my kitchen chandelier picks up on the glitter elements and gives them a great glimmer! What are you doing to decorate your home for the holidays?


Close up of the chalkboard created using a poster frame and chalkboard vinyl:

Close up of the right side:

Close up of the left side:

Hope you are enjoying preparing for the holidays!

Erica




The Lettered Cottage

Labels: , ,

   ( ) read more " " read more " "