A Lucky Find: Add some Edge

With St Patrick's Day just around the corner, Erica & I are sharing a few lucky finds

While shopping at a Flea Market here in Lexington (the same day I found my Botanical Chart print), I came across this cool stone mold of Kentucky. 


In case you're questioning your geography skills (or mine) -- yes, the state is backwards -- because it is a mold.

It cost me $9 which is more than I might normally pay for something that will probably end up just sitting around, BUT, it is a backwards Kentucky. And I'm not sure how many places you could find that. **{That was not meant to be a pun... please refrain from any jokes about Kentucky being backwards... not that there would ever be such jokes... but just in case.}**

Anywho, I did think that it needed something more to make it stand out a bit. I remembered this image I'd seen on Pinterest from Kirsten at 6th Street Design School.


She used a bold red paint on the inside of a basic frame to make it look like a custom frame for her son's bedroom makeover. I love little surprises when decorating your home. This is an unexpected pop of color that adds such interesting detail to an average frame.

So, I thought I'd apply that concept to my Kentucky mold with some bright blue acrylic paint that I picked up at Michaels.


It took a few coats, but I knew I was going to like it right away. I didn't worry about making the edges perfect, as I wanted the imperfections in the stone mold to still show.

For now it's working as a doorstop, but I'm sure it will double as a bookend someday too.

Have you come across any unique lucky finds lately?

Linking up to the Inspiration Gallery, A to Zebra CelebrationsIf It's Not Baroque, Link Love Thursday, Inspire Me Please, and these great parties:

Home Stories A2ZHouseofHepworthsshabby creek cottage It's Overflowing SNAP!

Labels: , , ,

   ( ) read more " " read more " "