A Painted Rug for the Entry Way

Craftivity Designs | March 7, 2013 | 60 Comments so far
Earlier this week I shared some inspiration for my entry. This is one of my favorites:

Source: Flower Patch Farmirl. Please pin from the original source, thank you! http://flowerpatchfarmgirl.blogspot.com/2012/09/front-entry-drop-zone.html

I especially love that rug. I have always wanted to try out some of the painted rug tutorials I have seen on Pinterest & around the Blogosphere. So since I'm working on my entry, and love this photo of an old bench atop a bold-print rug... it seemed it was time to try the technique out.

And, boy, am I glad I did.


The results of this project make me so excited (I think of all the endless rug painting possibilities!!!) And it wasn't too difficult to accomplish.

Here are some of the tutorials I used as a guide:

Pink Geometric Rug from Adentures of an Almost 40 Year Old Intern
How to Paint a Rug from Tatertots & Jello
Tips for Painting Fabric from Infarrantly Creative

I didn't follow any one tutorial exactly, and I made several mistakes, so maybe I should follow a tutorial next time :)

One my favorite things about this project is that I used a rug I already owned.




The backside of the rug is solid, so I decided to use it for my 1st painted rug project. I sketched out my design and then measured to find the center of the rug.

Based on my drawing I cut 3 pieces of 2" Frog Tape at the lengths I would need for each piece of the pattern.

After cutting those 3 pieces, I cut a whole lot more, again, based on my sketch.


My kitchen looked like this:


However, when I was about 75% done laying tape, I realized I had laid my tape in the spots I wanted the paint (boo hoo!).


But it turned out to be a good thing, because my second method straightened out my pattern a bit.

I left my 1st pattern as is, and then strung a strip of tape across the full length of the rug. Next I used an exact-o knife to cut the strips in the desired spots, and then tear it off the rug. This is how Holly explained it in the Pink Geometric Rug tutorial (see? if I only I had actually followed the tutorials I read).

Since this was a small project and not a full size rug, I used Martha Stewart Multi Surface Satin Paint in Deep Sea from Michael's.


It required about 2.5 tubes worth of paint and I only did 1 coat because I felt the coverage was pretty good and the color was saturated.

Here was my first peak:


A clean crisp line! So excited. 

It's not prefect. For example, in this pic you can see where I didn't overlap my tape and the paint seeped through the crease.


But, I'm not a perfectionist by any means. And I think the color and pattern of this rug is just beautiful. I will definitely be painting more rugs.

And one of the best parts? Now, it's a double sided rug - for when I feel like switching things up. :)


What project have you been pinning, but haven't yet tried? Go for it!

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.


Subscribe to our blog posts via RSS Feed or Email.


Linking up to CWTS Link Party, Working With What You Have Link Up, Inspiration Gallery, A to Zebra CelebrationsIf It's Not Baroque, Link Love Thursday, Inspire Me Please, and these great parties:
Home Stories A2ZHouseofHepworthsshabby creek cottage It's Overflowing SNAP!

60 comments :

  1. Oh my gosh, I love this. It turned out beautifully. I would pay good money for a rug like this!

    Each week I host a link party at my site (www.easylivingmom.com) - it starts on Thursdays and goes all week. I would love it if you would be able to join and share this! Have a great day!

    -Angie
    www.easylivingmom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Angie - heading over to your blog now :)

      Delete
  2. Love the pattern, and so smart to use the back side of a rug you already own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hollie! I've been wanting something with a pattern like that, and am so excited to DIY it!

      Delete
  3. Wowza! Way to go on this one! I love the design that you created...and I even love that it's imperfect. Very clever to use a rug that you already owned; do you mind if I ask where you first got it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got the original at a yard sale. We have a neighborhood sale twice a year and this one lady always has the best stuff! Things I would buy in a store right now, for yard sale prices. It's great! Anyway, she gets a lot of stuff from Ikea & Target because I've purchased items from her that still have tags --- but I'm not sure about the rug. Sorry! But thanks for asking and stopping by our blog :)

      Delete
  4. Lora
    Wow ~ that turned out great! It sure seems like a lot of work but the result is worth it.
    I found you today thru the Linky Party at Liz Marie, where I'm #141. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    www.vmg206.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megin. The taping was by far the longest part - and having to do it twice didn't help, lol. But it was well worth the effort - I've actually already made another one with a simple stripe design!

      Delete
  5. a two-fer! that's even more awesome. and i love that you did this just with tape. great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I know - I'm super proud of my little rug :)

      Delete
  6. So cute, I love this idea! I have stenciled a rug, but never tried the method that worked so well for you =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The tape worked great and it was nice not having to purchase a stencil - especially for a small rug.

      Delete
  7. Wow! When I initially looked at your entryway photo, I thought, "What a cozy and welcoming entryway." As I scrolled down I was blown away at your tutorial! Such an intricate design and you made it look so easy!! I've been thinking about doing that for sometime now, and you just inspired me to bump it up on my list of things to do;) I love it!

    Jenny from diywithjenandb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it! It was much easier than I had expected.

      Delete
  8. Wow! It's bold and it's beautiful! Great project.

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Great job and thanks for the tutorial! I will have to give it a try myself.

    I'm having a giveaway over at my blog, so check it out: http://cloverandmustard.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-few-of-my-favorites-giveaway.html

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a STAR today over at I Gotta Create! Thank you for linking up ~ I'm inspired!

    <3 Christina @ I Gotta Create!

    http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2013/03/spring-fever-diy-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this at my link party last week - I chose it as a feature! Feel free to grab an "I've Been Featured" button from my link parties page. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome! You did a great job!

    Stephanie @ thestyledsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ummm, amazing! You are a very patient person :) Can't believe you marked off the pattern yourself instead of stenciling. Love it. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I think I'm totally not patient, lol. I soooo wanted to peel back the tape as soon as I finished painting to see the results :)

      Delete
  14. Love how this turned out!

    Jenny
    Www.simcoestreet blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's a great addition to our entry :)

      Delete
  15. Wow! That is amazing! I love how you broke it down; I feel like I could give this a go. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Tara
    www.suburble.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! I'd love to see your finished product if you decide to try it! :)

      Delete
  16. Just love this!! Thank you for sharing it with us over at the Give Me The Goods Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber! Looking forward to participate in the party the next few weeks.

      Delete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous! I really like the pattern you created!
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Selene. I've been loving the aztec look, and I thought this pattern kind of gave a nod to that style!

      Delete
  18. I think I might just give this a try! thanks for sharing good detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon -- and good luck! If you try it, I'd love to see your version :)

      Delete
  19. Wow! That is so cool! I love the design you did! Thanks so much for linking this up as well at Give Me The Goods Monday!

    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cool idea! I'd love for you to share this at my link party if you get a chance: http://www.findingsilverpennies.com/2013/03/silver-pennies-sundays-link-party_24.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite, Danielle! Heading over to your blog now :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing this. Love it! Hope you come back again tomorrow to share more of your creativity! x

      Delete
  21. Congrats are in order! You've been featured! I just loved your rug so much!! I picked it as one of my features! Please stop by and grab your button!
    http://dimplesandpigtales.blogspot.com/2013/03/give-me-goods-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Turned out wonderful! I love all the painted rugs too. Love the pattern you did. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany! Glad you stopped by our blog!

      Delete
  23. Love, love, love this! I would love to feature it in my DIY post next Tuesday.

    The whole entryway looks great! Great accessorizing and great job! I`m definitely going to try this!

    Cortney"organicallyopulent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comments, Cortney! Unfortunately, I can't claim the accessories though, that was my inspiration for my rug :) I'm revealing my finished entry on Monday! Woohoo!

      Delete
  24. Awesome project. I love the pattern you chose,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I've liked the aztec trend for a while, and I thought this pattern kind of had that vibe.

      Delete
  25. ooooo i love this one too! looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocie! I was so pleased with how it turned out. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  26. Wow, I am in love with this. I love the design as well as your color choice... Navy is my favorite color. I feel inspired to paint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Navy is my favorite, too! So glad you liked it and stopped by :)

      Delete
  27. I was literally JUST out buying craft paint and a piece of canvas over lunch today for a painted floor mat. Then I stopped by your blog and saw this post! Life is so funny. I'm taking notes on your experience. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing! :) I'd love to hear how your rug turns out!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover