An UPDATE: A Beginner's Guide to Gardening

Back in May, I told you about my adventures as a beginner gardener. Well, since we're moving, I figured that  I should share an end of summer update so you could see how my plants have done. I have already commissioned my neighbors to give me an update on our flowers {and maybe snap a pic for me} in Spring of 2014, since we won't be there to see how they've grown.


The whole flower bed has filled out a lot. I love all the shades of green, though I do wish there were some more budding flowers. However, I believe that perennials typically take a few years before they really start producing a lot of color.

I have had the Lariope the longest and they do so well. It amazes me how much they grow over the summer. After trimming them back this winter, I was afraid I had trimmed them too far {remember, I'm a beginner, haha} and yet look how much they've grown!


This is probably my favorite plant that we purchased this spring, it's called Creeping Jenny. The bright green is gorgeous, almost yellow, and it pops against our stone exterior and the mulch. It's also cascading over the edges of the flower bed just like I'd hoped when I read it's description.


The Calla Lilies haven't done so well. I knew they were a risk when I read "water every day" on the marker. They did semi-ok when it was really wet and rainy in June, but have struggled since. It could also be that they are actually still getting too much sun, even though this is a fairly shaded area. Anyone have any suggestions?


The Burgundy Wedding Train has been by far the biggest surprise to me. You can barely spot the tiny little guys in the before photo, and look how much they've grown! I am amazed.


I've used my cheat sheet several times, especially when it comes to those Calla Lilies and it will be a helpful document to hand over to the next homeowners.


I'm going to make a copy for my next home too, so I can remember which plants I loved and plant them there as well.


How have your plants fared during these hot summer months? Any tips for keeping them looking healthy?


Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest.


Subscribe to our blog posts via RSS Feed , Bloglovin’ or Email.

Places I Link Up:  Thrifty Decor Chick, OPC Before & After DIY Contest, Organize It Link Party,
Sunday- Silver Pennies Sunday, Frugal Crafty Home, That DIY Party, The Sunday Showcase
Suburbs Mama Sunday Link Party,
Monday- Give Me the Goods Monday, Monday Funday, Tutorials & Tips Link Party,
The DIYers,
Tuesday- 
Sparkle Link Party, One Project at a Time,
Wednesday-  Show & Tell, A Little Bird Told Me Link Party
, Work it Wednesday, Two Girls and a Party,
Thursday- Transformation Thursday, The Inspiration Gallery, Inspire Me Please
Friday-
Remodelaholic, Friday's Five Features, Craft Frenzy Friday
Saturday- Share Your Creativity

Labels: , ,

   ( ) read more " " read more " "