8-Week Organizing Challenge // Closet Makeover


Have you been working on organizing a closet or cabinet this week?  If you missed Lora's post on Monday, check it out here, it's full of great inspiration for this week's topic!


This week I worked on organizing my messy closet.  The closet was unorganized and filled with clothes from previous seasons and items that needed to be donated.  While I had baskets and hanging organizers in the closet, they were not very useful.  Here are some before pictures:



My first step for organizing everything was to go through the clothing items and decide what to keep, what to donate, and what to place in a storage tub until the next season. Next, I took Young House Love's advice from their book and switched from plastic and wire hangers to all wooden hangers.  I love the difference it made!  Now I feel like I'm shopping at a boutique instead of my closet.



After changing the hangers, I took some tags that I got at Michael's and a black Sharpie pen to create labels for the baskets on the top of the closet. I love the vintage flower print!


Next, I tied the tags onto the baskets and separated items into their designated baskets.  I used the baskets to organize scarves, belts, purses, and backpacks.








I also created tags and used baskets to organize my flip-flops and flats.  I placed my heels and tennis shoes on a shoe rack in the bottom of my closet.  By doing this, I was able to get rid of the bulky over-the-door shoe organizer I previously had on my closet door.
















Ready to see the final pictures?  Here you go!  I love the way it turned out, it feels so much more clean and open.  I was able to move all the clothes to one side of the closet (I have a huge walk-in closet) and use the dresser in my bedroom to hold tanks, t-shirts, pj's, and additional sweaters and cardigans.




I added a laundry basket in the bottom of the closet so I can easily put clothes in and take them to the washer.  There is also a rack on the left side that is used to organize towels and toiletries.  I'll share more about that area next week.





























I placed a rug in the middle of the closet to give it more color.  It matches the same rug in my bedroom as well. Now that I have two open walls in the closet, I'm brainstorming on maybe creating a jewelry wall, what do you think? Do you have other ideas for what I should do with the open space?  If so, leave a comment below, we'd love to hear from you! Lora will be back tomorrow to share what project she's been working on this week. Have a great Wednesday!



If you enjoyed this post, we would love for you to subscribe to our email list!

 photo SubscribeSign_zpse6f815a6.png

Labels: , , , ,

   ( ) read more " " read more " "