Use Photos to Make Decorating Decisions // A Simple Tip

If you feel "stumped" when it comes to decorating a space in your home, turn to the camera.

How to Make Decor Choices Using Photos // Craftivity Designs


The space that I've been mulling over {and over and over} is the bedding in our master bedroom.

How to Make Decor Choices Using Photos // Craftivity Designs
Yes -- that nightstand still needs new pulls :)
Our headboard was a steal several years back when a local Sears clearanced out all of their furniture items. It's beautiful and comfortable; but it has a feminine feel due to the curvy shape. The white bedspread is something we've also owned for a while and though I like it; it leans a little feminine, too.

There isn't anything wrong with that feminine vibe; but I do want to pull in some more masculine touches since I do share this space with Mike.

So, I've been trying to figure out how to use these great feminine pieces as a base; but add interest, texture and contrast with some more masculine pieces {oh -- also -- with pieces that we already own}.

To test out several ideas I grabbed an assortment of pillows and blankets; then started taking photos.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Decision #1: COLOR


How to Make Decor Choices Using Photos // Craftivity Designs

I am -- without a doubt -- drawn to Option A. Yes, the blanket blends in with the wall. So, that  gives me two options: 
  1. Hang something on the wall that is light {a mirror, art, etc.} and let the base of that item "dip" behind the headboard -- similar to the mirror in this photo.
  2. Remove the blanket; but use dark shams against the headboard as a contrast {i.e.: nix the white shams}.

 Decision #2: PILLOW SHAMS

How to Make Decor Choices Using Photos // Craftivity Designs
I like to mix patterns; but Option A feels too busy. Solid shams will be the way to go {whether or not they stay white}.

Decision #3: THROW PILLOWS

How to Make Decor Choices Using Photos // Craftivity Designs

I like both Option A and B. If I go with white shams, I'll choose Option A. If I go with dark shams, I'll choose Option B.

_______________________________________________________________________________


Blogs, Pinterest, and Mood Boards are great for visualizing the overall feel that you'd like to create when you makeover a room. However, when it comes to the little details, I fell like it is trial and error. When I'm stumped, a photo gives me a new, and different, perspective.

How do you solve decor decisions?


Labels: , ,

   ( ) read more " " read more " "