For the Love of Gold: The Ampersand

I love gold and I love polka dots so what better than a project that combines two of my favorite things!  A few weeks ago, Lora and I went to an awesome yard sale put on by Repurposed Soul where I picked up this great white ampersand!  If you live in the Lexington/Nicholasville, KY area, definitely check it out.  All the proceeds from their sales go to missions in Haiti through the Waves of Mercy program.  I'm sure you will see many of the purchases Lora and I made at that event popping up throughout future posts.

Ok...back to the ampersand.  I knew when I purchased it that I wanted to add it to my bedroom gallery wall.  However, since my bedroom walls are ivory, I felt it needed a little jazzing up so it didn't blend in too much.


I considered spray painting the ampersand but eventually decided that adding some polka dots would give it a fun and creative touch.  I chose to create these dots using a gold leaf paint pen that I purchased at Hobby Lobby (see a similar one here).  I have many gold elements throughout my bedroom (like my polka dot knobs and framed cards) and I wanted to give this some gold as well to tie it all in.


I took a freehand approach to this project and simply started drawing on dots using the pen.


I love how the gold leaf paint pen allowed for a shiny look--so cute!  I definitely felt like I was channeling my inner Kate Spade!




This project was simple but gave the piece a great makeover that fits in nicely with the other pieces I've collected for my gallery wall--like this framed Anthropologie note card.


This was my first experience using a paint pen but I already have a few other projects in the works that will include using this great tool.  Come back next week to see another gold project!


How are you adding gold elements in your home?  Share in the comments below!  I'll be back Friday for another edition of Kick-Off Friday.  Happy Wednesday!

Follow us on FacebookTwitterGoogle+, and Pinterest.

   

Subscribe to our blog posts via RSS Feed Bloglovin’ or Email.

  

Labels: , , ,

   ( ) read more " " read more " "