IKEA Cabinet Makeover

Craftivity Designs | May 8, 2013 | 54 Comments so far
So... it's no secret that I love IKEA!  Seriously....my house is 90% IKEA furniture. One of my favorite IKEA pieces in my home is this white cabinet (no longer available at IKEA) in my bedroom. Since the walls in my room are an off-white, the cabinet tends to blend in so I wanted to add something to make it POP!

After creating my painted tray, I was looking for more ways to incorporate this chevron shelf paper in my home.  My bedroom colors include aqua/teal, coral, and gold details (like my polka dot knobs). I knew the aqua chevron would work perfectly in my room so I decided to add it to the back of my cabinet.




I started this project by measuring the back of the cabinet. I couldn't find my tape measure so I ended up using a piece of ribbon to measure the distance and measured the paper using the grid on the back. Before applying the paper to the back of the cabinet, I removed all of the wooden shelves.


When I started peeling the backing off of the shelf paper, I pulled too much off at once and it was a big sticky mess!  After finishing the first section, I started only peeling off a small amount of the backing away from the top while smoothing the paper onto the cabinet. 



I continued this process of measuring and applying the shelf paper until the entire back of the cabinet was covered.  


After finishing with the shelf paper, I began my favorite part--filling the shelves!  I love how the chevron paper looks with my floral scarves that are housed in white wicker baskets.

The best part about this project? It was cheap and simple! I spent $4 on a 2-pack of shelf paper (I still have a whole roll left) and the project was complete in less than an hour.

Is it perfect? No. Are there bubbles in the paper? Yes. However I've made my peace with the bubbles in the paper and I'm okay with them. What I love about using shelf paper is that it's easily removable so when I get tired of chevron, I can take it off and start all over again!


In addition to the chevron print, I also got some shelf paper in a pink quatrefoil print which I plan on using to line the wooden drawers in my dresser.  I'll share the final pics when I finish that project. Have you used shelf paper in any of your home projects?  If so, I'd love to hear about it!

Follow us on FacebookTwitter, and Pinterest.

  

Subscribe to our blog posts via RSS Feed or Email.

 


Linking up to--Monday: Cupcakes and CrinolineI Gotta Try That, Inspire me MondayMade by you Monday, Make it Pretty MondayMarket Yourself MondayMonday Funday, Mop it Up Monday, Our Delightful HomePretty ThingsRain on a Tin RoofSerendipity and SpiceSew ChattySweet Sharing MondayThe Scoop Linky Party Tuesday: A Bowl Full of LemonsGet Your Craft on Tuesday, Lil' Luna, Not Just a HousewifePrimp, SNAPSweet Little GalsThe Blackberry VineThe DIY Dreamer, The Winthrop ChroniclesTime to Sparkle TuesdayToo Cute Tuesday, VMG206 Wednesday: Beyond the Picket Fence, DIY by Design, Ducks n' a RowFirst Home Love LifeGinger Snap Crafts, Homework WednesdaysI Gotta Create!My Girlish Whims, Pin it PartySouthern LovelySugar & DotsThe 36th AvenueThe Life of Jennifer DawnWhatever Goes Wednesday, Wednesday Whatsits, Whimsy WednesdaysWow us Wednesday Thursday: A Little Knick Knack, All Things ThursdayCatch a Glimpse ThursdayDomestic SuperheroMy Repurposed LifeDesigned DecorHouse of HepworthsInspire Me Please Linky Party, Ladybird LaneLive Laugh LinkySimply Create Linky PartySo You Think You're CraftyThe Crafty Blog StalkerThe Inspiration GalleryThe Jenny EvolutionThe Shabby Creek CottageThe Weekly CreativeThrifty Decor ChickThrifty to Nifty Thursdays, Tidy Mom Friday: A Night Owl, Aloha FridayFamily Ever AfterFinding FabulousFingerprints on the Fridge, Friday Follow Along PartyFunky Junk's Party Junk, Furniture Feature FridayJust us FourPin Me Linky PartyPractically Functional,  RemodelaholicTater Tots & JelloThe Shabby Nest, TGIF Linky Party  Saturday: Cheerios and LattesIt's OverflowingShow & Tell SaturdayStrut your Stuff Saturday, Weekend Blog Party, Weekend Wonders  Sunday: A Blossoming LifeCraft-O-ManiacDIY Show OffFinding Silver PenniesI Heart Naptime,  It's So Very CheriThe Sunday Showcase PartyThink Pink Sundays


54 comments :

  1. Where did you find that awesome shelf paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it on clearance at Meijer! But amazon does sell the brand too they are just currently sold out of the chevron print :( The paper is by The Macbeth Collection--here's the company website http://www.themacbethcollection.com/shop.shtml and the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesive-Shelf-Liner-Promotion/dp/B009SB49GS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/183-6908150-4081003. I've seen other companies sell a similar version too! I love it! Thanks for stopping by! Erica

      Delete
    2. I recently picked up a very similar shelf paper at TJ Maxx! So try there or Home Goods, which is the same chain!

      ~Abby =)

      Delete
  2. Wow!! What a difference! I wish I had access to some of that amazing contact paper... haven't seen anything like it in Canada. Great makeover!!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! I just happened to stumble upon it one day at a local grocery store, they sell it on Amazon but it's out of stock right now. Have a great weekend!

      Erica

      Delete
  3. Hey, have you tried using a push pin to prick a tiny hole in each air bubble and then mashing the air out? I did this with wall paper and it worked great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that but that is a great idea, thanks Sandy!

      Erica

      Delete
  4. What a FUN transformation! I love how the chevron paper really makes it pop! I bought a similar shelf paper recently but have been waiting for the perfect project to use it...I'd love to do something like yours that has it on display all the time rather than hiding at the bottom of a drawer! I popped over from Domestic Superhero--thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I agree having it on the drawers is fun but I much prefer having it out where I can see it all the time.

      Erica

      Delete
  5. It looks great! Someday I'll have to get around to doing something like that with all my billy shelves....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen! Good luck with the Billy shelves!

      Erica

      Delete
  6. love this look- so crisp, clean and fresh. stopping from a jennuine life

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love this! Thanks so much for linking up to Give Me The Goods Monday! Can't wait to see what you link up next party ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jamie! I always enjoy your linky party! Have a wonderful day!

      Erica

      Delete
  8. Found you through 36th Avenue Party Time. Love your blog!

    I would love for you to share and link up at my TGIF Link Party.
    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/tgif-link-party-2.html

    Please, invite your friends to party too! The more the merrier!

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, I just linked up! Have a great day!

      Erica

      Delete
  9. I just LOVE how it turned out!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  10. shelf paper is amazing! this one is so cute! what a fun makeover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carissa, I'm a big fan of shelf paper!!

      Erica

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for linking up your post to our Inspire Me Please Weekend Blog Hop! I love this cabinet makeover!!!
    xo, Jennifer @Blissfully Ever After

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, have a great night!

      Erica

      Delete
  12. It makes a big difference in your cabinet. Looks wonderful.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ruth, I love how it made it more colorful & fun!

      Erica

      Delete
  13. Love the chevron pattern! I am a new follower from southern charm. I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back. Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Just checked it out--new follower! Have a great day!

      Erica

      Delete
  14. Hi, I'm a new reader here and love the blog! Just wanted to say that if anyone's interested IKEA has a very similar cabinet in their hemnes line. Here's the link: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80213583/#/90213587

    Love the teal color of that paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing the IKEA link!

      Erica

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! Have a wonderful day!

      Erica

      Delete
  16. What a fun way to add some color and dimension to your shelves. They look great.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  17. How darn adorable! I love that paper, it looks a lot like the stencil design I did in my office.I will be blogging about it this weekend. Stop over and take a look when you get a chance.

    Denyse
    glitterglueandpaint@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denyse! I'll definitely check it out!!

      Erica

      Delete
  18. Awesome update to an IKEA cabinet (and I am totally ok with bubbles in the paper too :) Thank you so much for a great idea!

    xo, Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/2013/05/pretty-things-link-party-and-features-20.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tanya and thanks for hosting the party! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  19. LOVE how cute it turned out and would have never thought of putting decorative paper or even fabric inside of a shelf like that! Pinned for inspiration. Julia @ www.juliakendrick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  20. So sweet! Love the chevron pattern. It really makes all inside the cabinet pop. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle, I'm a sucker for anything chevron! Have a great weekend!

      Erica

      Delete
  21. I love this! I have three of those exact same IKEA cabinets, and I've actually been thinking of doing the exact same thing with them because they are looking a little bland in the space I have them in. Love how yours turned out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely do it! It's such a fun and simple project that makes a big change in the look of the cabinets! Thanks for stopping by, have an awesome weekend!

      Erica

      Delete
  22. I adore your cabinet makeover! Did you know that you can get the air bubbles out by pricking the center of the bubble with a pin? Once pricked, you simply use your finger to push the air in the bubble toward the pin hole. All of the excess air escapes and voila! - no more bubble! The pin hole is so small that it typically doesn't show. I've done this a thousand times and it works great. Thank you for linking up to Home{work} Wednesday. I'll be featuring your project on my FB page today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks So much Suzy!!! What a great idea! Have a wonderful day!

      Erica

      Delete
  23. I love what you did with the shelf paper. I will be featuring this tonight at my Swing into Spring party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the feature Judy!!

      Erica

      Delete
  24. Thanks for sharing this last Friday at the Friday follow along. Come share another today! Www.leahinspired.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah! I'll check it out! Have a great weekend!

      Erica

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover